In this video I demonstrate how to assemble and pump with a Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breastpump.
The steps are:
- Attach breast shields (also called flanges) to the connectors and to the bottles.
- Attach the ends of the tubes with no connectors to the pump
- Insert the the other ends of the tubes into the breast shields.
- Put the breast shields against your breasts with your nipples centered. (See this video for how to pump hands-free.)
- Turn the dial to turn the pump on. Turn it as high as you comfortably can.
- Let the pump run for 2-3 minutes.
- Once you see sprays of milk going into the breast shields or feel your milk letting down (not all women feel this), you can push the little let-down button to change to a slower, stronger cycle. The pump will do this automatically after a few minutes.
- Pump as long as desired, usually 15-20 minutes.
- Some women find that after 10 minutes or so, it can help to push the let-down button again. This may help to stimulate another let-down reflex.
- Massage your breasts for the last 5-10 minutes of your pumping session.
- When you finish, turn the pump off.
- Disconnect the tubes from the breast shields, then turn the pump on again for a minute or two. This will clear any condensation from the tubes.