In this video I demonstrate how to assemble and pump with a Medela Lactina Select Breastpump.
The steps are:
- Attach breast shields (also called flanges) to the connectors and to the bottles.
- Attach the yellow piston to the yellow connector.
- Insert the cylindrical end of the yellow connector into the similarly sized hole on the blue pump.
- Insert the end of the piston into the white holder on the blue are of the pump.
- Insert the triangular ends of the tubes into the yellow connector.
- Insert the the other ends of the tubes into the breast shields.
- Put the breast shields against your breasts with your nipples centered. (See this video for how to pump hands-free.)
- Turn the suction dial on the piston to MIN.
- Turn the speed to 7.
- Turn the pump on.
- Let the pump run for 2-3 minutes.
- Once you see sprays of milk going into the breast shields or feel your milk letting down (not all women feel this), turn the speed dial down to about 4, and turn the suction dial up towards MAX. Only turn it up as high as you comfortably can.
- Pump as long as desired, usually 15-20 minutes.
- Some women find that after 10 minutes or so, it can help to turn the suction back down and the speed back up for a few minutes. This may start another let-down reflex.
- Massage your breasts for the last 5-10 minutes of your pumping session.
- When you finish, turn the pump off.
- Disconnect the tubes from the breast shields, then turn the pump on again for a minute or two. This will clear any condensation from the tubes.